Saturday, June 11, 2011

Cartoon/ Children's Characters - Assessment.

 Original Cartoon Sketches:
 

Illustrator Cartoon Characters:  

Entire Story - 16 Sentences.

Once upon a time there were five friends who lived in a small garden named Avalon.
They spend their days doing things they enjoy.

First friend we meet is Frankie the flower.
She is always happy and cheerful.

She adores the sunshine, and talking to Lily the ladybug.
Lily the ladybug is the kindest bug you could ever meet in Avalon.

She is nice to everyone, and she likes to hear jokes from Carlos the cactus.
Carlos the cactus is the funniest plant in all of Avalon.

He enjoys making jokes and always has his friends laughing.
Barry the bee thinks Carlos’s jokes are very funny.

Barry the bee is very smart.
He loves doing puzzles and playing games with Simon the snail.

Simon the snail is our final friend from Avalon.
He likes to learn new things and read books.

Most of all, he loves to spend time with all of his friends.
Together they play, talk joke, laugh and have fun.

Spread One:
Lines Used:
She adores the sunshine, and talking to Lily the ladybug.
Lily the ladybug is the kindest bug you could ever meet in Avalon.

Spread Two:


 Lines Used:
He enjoys making jokes and always has his friends laughing.
Barry the bee thinks Carlos’s jokes are very funny.

Explanation:
Age Group:
 6-8 y/o

Colour: 
I chose to keep with a simple and vibrant colour scheme. I wanted something that would draw the attention of the audience, however not take too much away from the type as it's equally if not more important.

Type Face:
I chose something simple and clean as this will help with he readability for the target audience as they will be still in the learning stages when it comes to literacy. Info: Helvetica, Normal, 32 Pt.

Story:
I had created the idea of my characters in my head before I'd written my story, Therefore I based my story on something appropriate and in relation to my characters - resulting in a Garden called "Avalon".  I kept my sentences short and simple, however I ensured I used some words which may be  a little more challenging for the child who is reading the story.

Characters: I always aimed for simple yet eye catching characters. I believe you don't want your characters to b too fussy as it will draw the eye away from the reading material and make it more difficult for the learning purposes of the book.  However, I kept to the simple garden themed animals and plants and gave each their own personalities. Also, used simple shading to add more depth to the image based part of the assessment. I also kept the characters very similar to the original planning as i was satisfied with the original idea. As shown in the above work.

Other Elements:
In keeping with the simplicity of my entire assessment I tried to keep the spreads fairly free of clutter and distractions. Keeping the elements a good distance from the sentences placed on the pages to keep the readability simple and easy.

I did not place page numbers into my book as I felt it was not needed, as well as upon research into other kid's books many I came across did not contain page numbers which I think suited in the theme of keeping it all as simple as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment